The California Science Center is an internationally recognized leader in informal science education. Our mission is to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone, by creating fun, memorable experiences. Learn more at: californiasciencecenter.org.
King Tut: Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh makes its world premiere at the California Science Center on March 24, 2018! The exhibition includes an exquisite collection of real artifacts from the Boy King’s tomb, many of which King Tut himself used in life and in death, including gold jewelry, colossal sculpture and gilded furniture. Guests will explore the story told by these priceless objects and learn what science has revealed about King Tut’s life and death.
About the Job
The box office cashier is responsible for the accurate and speedy processing of ticket sales. Cashiers are expected to have strong public speaking skills in order to interact with guests in a helpful and polite manner at all times. In addition to their primary work inside the box office, cashiers are expected to be familiar with all of the exhibit components and shall, as needed, work in other areas of the California Science Center to help create a great guest experience. Cashiers are also responsible for working at the Information Desk where they serve as the liaison between the gallery staff and other departments, in addition to helping customers with frequently asked questions. At management’s discretion, the box office cashiers may be required to perform other duties as necessary.
- 1+ years of customer/guest services and/or host experience preferred
- Experience working with attractions preferred
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of the California Science Center’s exhibits and daily operations
- Excellent cash handling skills preferred
- Capable of maintaining exceptional attendance
- Experience scheduling rest and meal breaks for staff preferred
- Experience working with computers and computer software
- Experience working with the Tessiture Ticketing System preferred
- Experience in a cash handling area preferred
- Experience and or ability to operate attractions (Climbing Wall, High Wire Bike, etc.)
- Ability to walk and/or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to type 35wpm preferred
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays is required
- Ability to lift, carry, pull and/or push a minimum of 25lbs required
- Ability to verbally greet and interact with all guests in a friendly, professional manner.
- Ability to work an 8-hour shift for a minimum of 3 days a week.
- Ability to walk and/or stand for 8 hour work shift.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and evenings
- Ability to adhere to workplace schedule; possess a strong record for attendance and punctuality.
Major Job Responsibilities:
Able to fulfill all the Host major job responsibilities in addition to the following:
Deliver High Quality, Guest Friendly Service
- In a professional manner, deal with any minor guest issues concerning the Box Office transactions and IMAX theater.
- When assigned to a paid exhibit, attraction or work area, follow all cash handling procedures. Sell/redeem attraction tickets and assist guest with their exhibit/attraction experience
- Inform guests of attraction specific rules and regulations/requirements.
- Provide accurate information about all IMAX films currently showing and upcoming films as released.
- Retain complete knowledge of all coupons, discounts, group, consignment and complimentary ticket procedures
- Familiarize yourself with all California Science Center and park entities to properly direct guests to their destination of choice
- Provide information about the California Science Center and Exposition Park events
- Ensure that the brochure racks are stocked with Explorer Guides, IMAX Schedules and/or any other marketing issued literature
- Serve guests in a speedy and efficient manner striving to keep each guest transaction under 2 minutes in length
- Inform guests of sold out shows
- Sell and redeem gift certificates
Ensure High Standards of Quality
- Ensure indoor work area and outside box office area maintain cleanliness levels; fingerprint dusting, broom and scoop area frequently
- Refer work order requests to a lead, supervisor or manager as necessary.
- Clean the Box Office as necessary including the windows, counters, inner office area and outside guest area
- Help to control/eliminate shortage opportunities through proper use of equipment, reporting problems, and following shortage procedures set forth by management.
- Maintain schedule displays to reflect accurate information
- Bring to the Area Lead’s attention low levels of any and all materials needed to avoid shortages
- At paid exhibits/attractions, help to control/eliminate shortage opportunities through proper use of equipment, reporting problems, and following shortage procedures set forth by management.
- At paid exhibits/attractions, ensure transactions are accurately being completed and avoid being over/short in the amount of $3 in any given month
- Arrive to work on your scheduled days and scheduled times.
Practice Safety at the Workplace
- Follow High Wire Bicycle and Climbing Wall safety procedures
- Execute Emergency Evacuation Plan when necessary
- Properly secure daily bank (issued change money)
- Ensure that the Box Office is secure by locking all doors
- Understand and implement crisis procedures in the event of a lost show, loss of power, computer failure or other urgent event
Communicate with Lead and Management Team Members
- Communicate any staff or guest issues to a Lead, Supervisor or Manager when they arise
- Call for a supervisor or manager when guest request refunds and/or exchanges
- Monitor IMAX Show attendance and inform management, information desk and/or parking operations when a show time is oversold or sold out
- Communicate with group check-in staff to ensure that groups have all registered their attendance and made payment prior to beginning their visit
Follow all Clerical Procedures
- Operate the Tessitura Ticketing system correctly/accurately
- Follow all of the box office cash handling policies: calculate change, deposits, and daily bank accurately.
- Prepare and complete the end-of-day reconciliation paperwork
- Prepare and distribute welcome packets to walk up group leaders
Perform other duties as required
$12.25 per hour
Send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Target and Job Application to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. Only applications that include a cover letter, resume, salary target and completed job application will be considered. No phone calls please. EOE.