The California Science Center is one of the world's leading science centers devoted to science learning. It is among the most attended museums in North America, with over 2.5 million guests each year for the past two years and is the permanent home of the Space Shuttle Endeavour. The California Science Center is currently developing a major expansion, the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. The California Science Center holds prestigious accreditations by the American Alliance of Museums and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The California Science Center is a department of the State of California (State) and who works in partnership with the not-for-profit California Science Center Foundation (Foundation) to bring our mission to life. Visit us on the web to learn more: californiasciencecenter.org.
The Print and Graphic Design Manager is responsible for developing and managing the creative and graphic design process for the entire organization. He or she will also oversee the conception, design, and branding of all California Science Center collateral materials, signage, advertisements, publications, website marketing and exhibitions. The position works closely with all the departments to design and/or art direct to ensure the museum brand stays consistent.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Produce marketing publications and digital graphics that effectively promote the California Science Center’s exhibitions, films and overall mission.
- Collaborate with various departments within the organization to plan, design and produce on-going printed and digital publications as needed.
- Develop and manage the creative and graphic design process as well as print and electronic production from concept development to completion for the Marketing Department and various departments within the institution.
- Facilitate the approval process of new and on-going publications; From start to finish, be responsible for obtaining proper signatures and ensuring publications are approved by key individuals before proceeding to the production or publishing phase.
- Design advertisements and promotional materials for new exhibitions and films, including billboards, pole banners, bus wraps, print and web advertisements, rack cards, brochures, direct mail pieces, coupons.
- Work with Marketing Associate to collect and archive any exhibition and film key art needed for the design process.
- Design on-site marketing signage pieces such as large-format banners, decals, window clings and elevator wraps.
- Help develop and manage content for the website and e-newsletters.
- Collect bids from print and signage vendors.
- Attend off-site press checks.
- Work with the Director of Marketing to ensure brand consistency across all publications.
- Organize and maintain publication archives and print samples.
- Organize and maintain the Media Manager, an internal image library.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Develop and manage publications project timelines.
- Train key staff members to use the website content management system.
- Publish web pages and website updates with the guidance of the Director of Marketing.
- B.F.A. in Graphic Design strongly preferred
- At least 5 years experience in graphic design, publication management and maintaining brand consistency throughout designs
- Project management experience required
- Fluency and hands-on experience with industry standard software (Adobe Creative Cloud Apps) and file-management services (Dropbox, Hightail)
- Working knowledge of modern web design techniques, including XHTML and CSS
- Experience with web-based Content Management Systems; Working knowledge of Drupal a plus.
- Video-editing experience a plus
- Strong working knowledge of Macintosh platforms and troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated record of creativity, conceptually talented and innovative in developing effective creative concepts and seeing them through from design to execution
- Strong familiarity with offset and digital printing processes including, but not limited to, prepress, concrete file preparation and paper stock selection
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with print and signage vendors; Must know how to speak with a printer and articulate the print needs of the organization
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication, collaboration and solution-building skills
- Strong organizational skills with keen attention to detail
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and create designs on tight deadlines
$50,000 to $55,000 a year. California Science Center Foundation employees receive excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage; retirement package; free science center membership, group term life insurance, and 11 paid holidays.
Send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Target and Job Application to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. Only applications that include a cover letter, resume, salary target and completed job application will be considered. No phone calls please. EOE.