Under the direction of the Associate Director of Event Services, the Special Events Manager is responsible for working in a team effort to plan and execute internal and external (third party) events for the California Science Center Foundation (“Foundation”).
- BA Degree required.
- Minimum 3 years of professional event management experience required.
- Highly professional, creative, meticulously organized, detailed, dynamic, customer services oriented self-starter who is a proven team player.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of event production and design with an emphasis on technical and logistical aspects of event planning including floorplan development, detailed timelines, budgets, vendor negotiations, decor, menu planning and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to follow directions, adapt to challenges and opportunities with a solution-oriented perspective.
- Knowledge of nonprofit 501(c) 3 organizations preferred, but not required.
- Ability to stand, walk and lift up 25 pounds.
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook based calendar, Social Tables (diagram software) - optional
- Weekends, holidays, evenings, very late and early morning hours required.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under supervisor’s direction, responsible for planning, coordinating and executing logistics for external (third party) and internal events including the Foundation’s major annual gala, The Discovery Ball.
- Interfaces with assigned clients and vendors to provide excellent customer service throughout the event planning process.
- Conducts site inspections and provides skilled client relations to ensure a successful event outcome.
- Creates and distributes detailed and accurate Event Logistics Summaries, event timelines (including diagrams) and work orders for assigned events.
- Responsible for overseeing staff and volunteers assigned to events.
- Responsible for event-related Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
- Works effectively with in-house and outside caterers and planners as well as other vendors.
- Acts as a liaison between clients and all operating departments of the Foundation and protects the Foundation’s property and assets during events.
- May attend Industry related events or special meetings.
- Performs other duties as required.