OPENS OCT. 21 — The California Science Center proudly presents the North American premiere of Amazônia, the critically acclaimed exhibition featuring more than 200 photographs by world-renowned Brazilian photojournalist Sebastião Salgado, including portraits of the Amazon's indigenous peoples and large-scale rich landscapes. Enhance your experience seeing Amazon Adventure 3D, an immersive IMAX movie that transports viewers to the lush Amazon rainforest to meet some of the region's captivating animals on our 7-story screen.
My wish, with all my heart, with all my energy, with all the passion I possess, is that in 50 years time this collection of images will not resemble a record of a lost world. Amazônia must live on.
Discover stunning portraits of the Amazon's indigenous leaders and communities, dramatic landscapes taken from intrepid riverboat expeditions, and sweeping aerial shots of immense waterfalls and stormy skies. Accompanied by an immersive forest soundscape and original music composed by French musician Jean-Michel Jarre, Salgado's breathtaking black-and-white photographs will draw viewers into the planet's largest rainforest and its hidden worlds. Lélia Wanick Salgado's curatorship and amazing scenography immerse us in the forest, among its inhabitants. Heralded by The Guardian as what "may be the most urgent exhibition of the year," Amazônia will enrich our understanding of life in the Amazon, the ongoing threats from the outside world, and the vital role of sustainable development and conservation to ensure its survival for generations to come. Photography by Sebastião Salgado, organized by Lélia Wanick Salgado, Curator and Scenographer.
Exhibition contains some photography that depicts nudity and scenes of animal hunting.
Amazônia is presented with the generous support of the Annenberg Foundation.
Enhance your experience by seeing Amazon Adventure 3D in our state-of-the-art IMAX Theater. Heralded by Variety as a "tropical thrill ride" and The Guardian as "satisfying IMAX edutainment," trek through the lush Amazon alongside explorer Henry Walter Bates and meet some of the region's most captivating animals on our 7-story screen.
Amazonia Quick Tips View Details
- This exhibition is included with the California Science Center's free general admission.
- Amazônia contains some photography that depicts nudity and scenes of animal hunting.
- Flash photography is not allowed.
General Admission Information View Details
Amazônia is included with the California Science Center's free general admission.
Enhance your Amazônia visit by adding on an IMAX movie! See the visually stunning Amazon Adventure 3D, an immersive IMAX movie that transports viewers to the lush Amazon rainforest to meet some of the region's captivating animals on our 7-story screen.
Cameras and Other Belongings View Details
In order to maintain the safety of the photographs and for your personal comfort, we ask that all guests adhere to the following visitor policies:
- Bags and "carry-on" items larger than 11" x 14" are not permitted inside of the exhibit. The California Science Center does not provide personal property storage, holding, or check in. This includes but is not limited to coolers, luggage, backpacks, or any type of personal property. Guests are strongly encouraged to leave large bags and other personal property at home or in their cars whenever possible. The California Science Center is not responsible for any bags strollers or personal items left unattended.
- Large suitcases, coolers, umbrellas, and large shopping bags are not permitted.
- Food or drink is not permitted inside of the exhibit.
- Please ensure that your camera activities respect the privacy of other visitors and do not distract our staff and volunteers.
- Personal use, no-flash photography and videography is allowed.
- Selfie sticks, tripods, stabilizers and monopods are not permitted inside of the California Science Center.
Accessibility View Details
The exhibition is wheelchair accessible.
Service dogs that have been individually trained to work or perform tasks for a guest with a disability are welcome, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Pets, comfort animals, emotional support animals, or therapy animals are not allowed for the safety of the Science Center's exhibit animals. For more info on accessibility and amenities, visit this page.
Support a dynamic educational resource and enjoy a year of special experiences, including exhibition and IMAX movie previews and ticket discounts. Join today to launch your science adventure!