Join us for a FREE all-day event this Saturday, July 20! The California Science Center will commemorate the Apollo 11 mission’s 50th anniversary of landing on the moon with an all-day celebration featuring hands-on activities and screenings of the film Apollo 11: First Steps Edition. (IMAX films require a paid ticket)
Timed to the 50th anniversary of NASA’s celebrated Apollo 11 mission, Apollo 11: First Steps Edition is a thrilling cinematic experience that showcases the real-life moments of humankind’s first steps on the Moon.
In this special giant-screen edition of Todd Douglas Miller’s critically acclaimed Apollo 11 documentary, created exclusively for science centers and museum theaters, the filmmakers reconstruct the exhilarating final moments of preparation, liftoff, landing and return of this historic mission—one of humanity’s greatest achievements and the first to put men on the Moon. With a newly-discovered trove of never-before-seen 70mm footage and audio recordings, Apollo 11: First Steps Edition joins Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, the Mission Control team and millions of spectators around the world, during those momentous days and hours in 1969 when humankind took a giant leap into the future.
Fasten your seat belts and get ready to be lifted off to the moon in this adrenaline-filled, immersive experience on our 7-story IMAX screen!
Take your IMAX ticket to the Endeavour queue on the 2nd floor for admission.
What critics are saying
"Entirely awe-inspiring" The New York Times
"Completely riveting" The Los Angeles Times
"Not just good but magnificent" The Wall Street Journal
“Grand, sweeping and breathtakingly cinematic” Newsday
Did you know
- The entire Apollo 11 mission took 8 days, 3 hours, 18 minutes and 35 seconds
- Only 2 astronauts walked the Moon during the Apollo 11 mission: Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. Michael Collins was piloting the Command Module that circled the Moon
- Director Todd Douglas Miller and his crew spent 3 years looking through archival footage and sound to make Apollo 11: First Steps Edition
- The newly discovered Apollo 11 footage was so pristine and the find so significant that the project evolved beyond filmmaking and into one of film curation and historic preservation
Related activities from JPL and NASA for Educators
- Roving on the Moon, Grades 6-12
- Touchdown Activity, Grades 3-8
- Exploring the Lunar Surface (6 Lesson Plans), Grades 3-5
- Lunar Math, Grades 5-12
- Earth & Space 2019 Toolkit
- NASA Space Place, NASA, all ages
- Apollo 11 & the Next Generation Science Standards
Sensory Friendly Screenings
The California Science Center is proud to offer a sensory friendly screening of Apollo 11: First Steps Edition for guests of all ages at 9:00AM on September 7. Learn more about our sensory friendly screenings here.