Backyard Wilderness is an award-winning film that reveals the unexpected delights of nature that are hidden in our own neighborhoods and communities.
Spanning a seasonal year around a suburban home, this film displays a stunning array of unique wildlife imagery and behavior - all captured by cameras mounted inside dens and nests and moving along forest floors and pond bottoms. Created by Emmy Award-winning and Oscar® nominated filmmakers Andrew Young and Susan Todd, Backyard Wilderness reveals the animal inhabitants in rare and breathtaking detail. Follow Katie, a young girl, and her family who are absorbed by an array of electronic devices and, at first, oblivious to the natural world just outside their home. Katie gradually discovers the intricate secrets that nature has hidden so close to her front door and we experience the joy she finds in her interactions with this newly uncovered world.
Wi-Fi is not the only connection that matters and sometimes in ordinary places, you can uncover extraordinary things – you just need to step outside.
Runtime: 45 minutes
Take your IMAX ticket to the Endeavour queue on the 2nd floor for admission.
What critics are saying
- "Backyard Wilderness 3D, a new IMAX film celebrating the animalia and plant life and sunshine and fresh air that surrounds us each day, is here to remind us that the wilderness is our next door neighbor" NBC Los Angeles
- "Stunning" SF Gate
- "A spellbinding documentary capturing magical moments in nature that we rarely get to see on camera or in our day-to-day lives and puts them on a large and intense scale" Kids First! News
- "A true gift to those of us parents and educators who are trying so hard to get an online generation of kids back into the forest" TreeHugger
- "The film encourages curiosity, observation, and appreciation of nature" Common Sense Media
- "A uniquely immersive experience" Sierra Magazine
- “Beautiful” - National Science Teaching Association
- "Definitely take the family to see Backyard Wilderness 3D...This is a film you will walk out of feeling amazed" Westside Mommy
Go outside and explore! Visit these local organizations to learn how you can connect with the nature in your neighborhood:
- Birdsong and the Eco-Wonders
- Environmental Nature Center
- Family Nature Summits
- Friends of the LA River
- Heal the Bay
- Highland Sam J Racadio Library & Environmental Learning Center
- Inside the Outdoors
- LA Audubon Society
- Mud On Your Feet
- Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy
- SoCal Hiker
- Southern California Mountains Foundation
- The Wildlands Conservancy
- WYLD - WYLDerness